Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

I received this email today from a wonderful person I worked with in Jacksonville. He cried with me over the death of Richard and told me about his son, Joseph's, desire to join the military. I was reminded today of the great honor Richard did for us in joining the Army in a time of war not knowing if he would return home wounded or if he would even return home at all; but bravely going to Iraq to fight for our country. As I read this email with tears streaming down my face I was reminded of what a great country we live in and I thanked God and said a prayer for all those who are currently fighting for us. When I think about loosing Richard I can't help but think about all those other families who have also lost loved ones. I try not to be selfish in my sorrow, but it's hard having lost such a good person who had such hopes for a good future.

"Dear Tina, Joseph, our firstborn, has been in Kandahar now for about a month. Since he has been deployed there I find myself having to block out the thoughts of losing him, therefore I do not to imagine what you and your family have gone through in the loss of Richard. I have always held those who serve our country in high regard. Please accept my sincere “Thank You” for the ultimate sacrifice made by Richard for our country. We are not worthy of such fine young Americans.
Happy Memorial Day!
Mike Jarriel
"

No comments: